Re: 2.6 roadmapping, the UI part of it...

What Mitch is referring to is that tabs are raised when doing
drag-n-drops. I wish to thank Mitch for his brilliant implementation
of this at the last minute of the 2.4 release. This functionality is
already extremely useful for d-n-d'ing colors, channels, and layers
between tabs and would also be necessary if GIMP provided tabbed image
interface.

-------------

Though this discussion of UI issues is academically interesting (and
will eventually prove fruitful), if GEGL is to be integrated into GIMP
then that needs to be the primary focus for the next version.
Potential developers will not be interested in spending a month of
Sundays learning and programming for a system which is soon to be
deprecated, requiring that their efforts be duplicated in the future
or obviated completely.

Attracting users with alternative UIs or the concerns of "graphics
professionals" will not mean more developers. Having a stable
structure to the representation and access of GIMP's internal image
data is a necessary precursor to attracting developers.

If GEGL can be integrated in less time than "GEGL + something else"
then, unless "something else" can be justified as being more
efficiently implemented at the same time, "something else" needs to be
considered ancillary to GEGL integration.

Quoting David Gowers:

>> > GIMP could definitely learn from that -- for example, a quick
>> > improvement that could be made to DockBooks is, bringing a tab to the
>> > front as it's moused-over (with some minimum hover time before
>> > switching to prevent accidents.)

Quoting Michael Natterer:

>> Gimp 2.4 already does that.
Quoting David Gowers: