Re: Extending GIMP Plugins

On 8/23/07, David Marrs <David.Marrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Amit Kumar Saha wrote:
> > Am i thinking in a way that could possibly be implemented? or is the
> > word "extensible" remotely applicable to my idea?
> >
> So what you're talking about here is a graphical interface to the API that a
> user can use to build his own extensions? Essentially, it's a graphical
> programming language. There are quite a few examples of these in the music world
> that allow the construction of modular synths (amongst other things).
>
> It sounds to me more like a separate companion program that's used to construct
> plug-ins than a plug-in itself. I like the idea very much.

In some ways, this is essentially what /meta operations/ in GEGL is
about, at the moment they are written in C, but they could just as
well be created with an XML syntax and edited in a graph based
environment. See GEGL (http://www.gegl.org/) and bug #465743.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/