Re: [Gimp-Developer] One-click binary downloads via the gimp website

Hi,
On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 11:39 +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> I don't think that it would be a problem.  Over the years, Jernej's> installer has evolved into something that can only be described as an> "official" package for Windows.  Regarless of what we state about it,> I bet that most users consider it as "the" GIMP for Windows.> Providing a one-click download button is unlikely to cause more> problems or confusion.
In my opinion it would. Users wouldn't know where to get informationabout the installer they just downloaded or where to report problemswith it. I strongly agree that it makes sense to streamline the downloadprocedure on the web-site. But we would IMO go too far if there was abutton on the front-page that would download the installer withoutproviding any further information.
We should IMO keep a Download button and we should try to figure out theuser's operating system to make it as simple as possible to get to thepage where we explain that the GIMP team only provides the source codeand where we point people to the binary installer. We should alsoencourage Jernej to provide a single installer for GTK+ and GIMP.

Sven