Re: memory manage in python-fu

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 09:01 -0700, William Skaggs wrote:

> It might help if I explain a little more about how GIMP handles
> memory.  GIMP does not rely on the operating system for swapping.
> When you start GIMP, it creates a file, of fixed size which you
> designate in the Preferences, to serve as a swap area.

Sorry, but I have to correct you. The size of the swap file is of course
not fixed. It will grow and may even shrink with the amount of swap
space that is needed. I said that it may shrink because there is
currently no code to deal with holes in the swap file. So it will only
shrink if the tiles stored at its end are released.

> What is happening to you is that the swap file is filling up,
> because data is accumulating there that ought to be cleared
> away.  You could delay the failure by increasing the size of
> the swap file (called the "tile cache") in Preferences

The tile-cache-size in the Preferences is the amount of memory GIMP will
use before starting to swap tiles out to the swap file. It does not
specify the size of the swap file.

Sven