Re: memory manage in python-fu

>>I think you have hit an actual bug, and that it doesn't have anything
>>to do with python, because I have encountered a similar thing in a
>>modified version of gimpressionist that I worked up, written purely
>>in C.  I believe that there is some sort of memory leak that causes
>>gimp in some situations to maintain reference to tiles that are no
>>longer being used in any way, and it is something that shows up when
>>you create and delete layers over and over again, in a certain way.
>>So it would probably be useful for you to file a bug report about this,
>>if you would.
>>

>It would only be useful if that bug report included a way to reproduce
>the problem. And it would probably be helpful to discuss that code
>example beforehand.
>
>I am not saying that there are no memory leaks in GIMP. But we are
>frequently testing the software for this and I am not aware of any major
>memory leaks such as the one that Bill describes here.
>

>>The memory that is being exhausted, by the way, is the "swap" area
>>that gimp allocates on the hard disk each time you run it.  The
>>tile manager moves tile data there if space is needed.
>>

>Actually, it doesn't do that when space is needed, but when the memory
>allocated for tiles exceeds the limit configured as 'tile-cache-size'.

There could be a mix of a gimp bug, and definitely some portion of my
plug-in. Although I know for a fact that I had a memory leak that was my
fault, the reaction to the leak was unexpected. The system in question
has only a /boot and /, with well in excess of 30 GB unused (lots of
inodes as well). For a moment I thought that perhaps it was a max open
file descriptor limit...which it could still be, but the system itself
has a default setting of a max of around 76,618. The thing I did not
expect was that it had well over a gig of ram left unused, no swap used,
30 gig of unused drive, and it still thought the hard drive was full. On
the other hand, it might not be worth pursuing when it requires a memory
leak for it to show up.

I do believe that after using the delete function in the loop, that it
still used up memory which it did not release. The amount was barely
noticable though, and after running all night to create 45,000 800x800
color jpegs, I'd say the amount was barely distinguishable as above the
amount it started with (I didn't take exact measures, I was going by a
mix of top and a graphical tool). Without a breakdown though of where
gimp was using the memory, it'd be a bit of a stretch though to say it
truly was a leak...it could simply be doing something like caching of
something, e.g., it was using the text generation and changing fonts on
each of the 45,000 images.

I know gimp has some ability to put out debug code, but I'm curious if
it has any sort of way of dumping statistics on how it's using memory?

In the future I'll have to work on several plug-ins to do mass image
handling, probably less than 45,000 per batch most of the time. I'll
watch and see if I can find anything useful to report. Otherwise, just
have a loop intentionally create 800x800 images without deleting, expect
it to run out of resources, but see if it does it in the way
expected...mine ran out of resources LONG before the system was even
stressed slightly. Again, I suspect the slow laptop hard drive compared
to fast core2 and tons of ram made it a race the hd could not win.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net