Re: memory manage in python-fu

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 06:51 -0800, William Skaggs wrote:
> I think you have hit an actual bug, and that it doesn't have anything
> to do with python, because I have encountered a similar thing in a
> modified version of gimpressionist that I worked up, written purely
> in C.  I believe that there is some sort of memory leak that causes
> gimp in some situations to maintain reference to tiles that are no
> longer being used in any way, and it is something that shows up when
> you create and delete layers over and over again, in a certain way.
> So it would probably be useful for you to file a bug report about this,
> if you would.

It would only be useful if that bug report included a way to reproduce
the problem. And it would probably be helpful to discuss that code
example beforehand.

I am not saying that there are no memory leaks in GIMP. But we are
frequently testing the software for this and I am not aware of any major
memory leaks such as the one that Bill describes here.

> The memory that is being exhausted, by the way, is the "swap" area
> that gimp allocates on the hard disk each time you run it.  The
> tile manager moves tile data there if space is needed.

Actually, it doesn't do that when space is needed, but when the memory
allocated for tiles exceeds the limit configured as 'tile-cache-size'.

Sven