Re: Drawing zones

On 1/18/07, Manuel Quiñones <manuel.por.aca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've had a similar idea than yours, and implemented it right away. But
instead of changing zones with keystrokes, the zone can be selected
using the crosspoint of two perpendicular guides. I know this is ugly,
and maybe your idea about changing to next/previous zone is better.
Here it is:

http://www.box.net/public/arhs7a3h9m

I'm sorry but not direct link. I cannot register it to the gimp
registry, because of http errors. And a fine tutorial:

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/DrawingZones

Regards,
Manuel

That gives me an idea: Sample points are probably quite appropriate to use here. We just need a PDB interface to access them.

My implementation of my idea is attached. It ISN'T a plugin, it's just a module that can be copy+pasted into a plugin.
(or in my case, imported. I have written >360k of libraries for pygimp so I set up PyGimp to be able to find them)
def zonemapInfo(drawable):
    """Return a (maybe newly created) zone map and the currently selected area number"""
    import gimp
    tattoo = drawable.tattoo
    channels = drawable.image.channels
    searchstring = '%d-Zonemap;' % tattoo
    # if there isn't one, just create one.
    channels = filter(lambda v: v.name.startswith (searchstring), channels)
    if len (channels) == 0:
        # create a new zonemap
        image = drawable.image
        zonemap = gimp.Channel (image, '%d-Zonemap; Current: 00' % drawable.tattoo, image.width, image.height, 100.0, gimp.get_foreground())
        from gimpenums import FOREGROUND_FILL
        zonemap.fill (FOREGROUND_FILL)
        image.add_channel(zonemap)
        return zonemap, 0
    zonemap = channels[0]
    import re
    current = re.findall("[0-9]+-Zonemap; Current: ([0-9a-fA-F]{2,2})",zonemap.name)[0]
    current = int (current, 16)
    return zonemap, current

def nextZonemapValue (zm, thisv):
    """Return the next area number used in the zonemap"""
    import gimp
    pr = zm.get_pixel_rgn(0,0, zm.width, zm.height, True, False)
    data = pr[:,:]
    r = range((thisv+1) % 256, 256)
    if r[0] > 0:
        # wraparound
        r.extend (range (0, thisv + 1))
    for v in r:
        if chr(v) in data:
            return v
    return 0

def cycleZonemap(drawable):
    """Cycle to the next area defined in the zonemap"""
    zonemap,activepoint = zonemapInfo (drawable)
    nextv = nextZonemapValue (zonemap, activepoint)
    drawable.image.undo_group_start()
    from gimp import pdb
    pdb.gimp_selection_load(zonemap)
    from ai.gimp.pibgimp.tools import threshold
    threshold(drawable.image.selection, nextv, nextv)
    zonemap.name = '%d-Zonemap; Current: %02x' % (drawable.tattoo, nextv)
    drawable.image.undo_group_end()

def enforceZonemap(drawable):
    """Limit the selection to the currently selected zonemap area"""
    zonemap,activepoint = zonemapInfo (drawable)
    # intersect the thresholded zonemap with the selection.
    drawable.image.undo_group_start()
    tmp = zonemap.copy()
    zonemap.image.add_channel (tmp)
    from ai.gimp.pibgimp.tools import threshold
    saved = drawable.image.selection.copy()
    drawable.image.add_channel(saved)
    # channel apply
    import gimp
    gimp.pdb.gimp_selection_none (drawable.image)
    threshold(tmp, activepoint, activepoint)
    gimp.pdb.gimp_selection_load (saved)
    drawable.image.remove_channel (saved)
    gimp.delete (saved)
    from gimpenums import CHANNEL_OP_INTERSECT, CHANNEL_OP_REPLACE
    op = CHANNEL_OP_INTERSECT
    if gimp.pdb.gimp_selection_is_empty (drawable.image):
        op = CHANNEL_OP_REPLACE
    gimp.pdb.gimp_channel_combine_masks (drawable.image.selection, tmp, op, 0, 0)
#    gimp.pdb.gimp_selection_sharpen(drawable.image)
    zonemap.image.remove_channel (tmp)
    gimp.delete(tmp)
    drawable.image.undo_group_end()