Re: Drawing zones

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:00:00 +0100, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 06:36:27AM -0800, Saul Goode wrote:
> > If the only difference is whether a mouse-click is used on the canvas or
> > a keystroke/menu/widget action is used to invert the selection, I
> > suspect you shall have a difficult time convincing the GIMP developers
> > to add your concept of a "drawing zone" to the core and have it honored
> > by all the paint tools.
>
> No. First it's important that it's not an additional mouse-click.
> Not even a click, just where the button/pen-down happens if you
> start to draw.

Keep in mind that what you are suggesting is a rather specialized use
case.  Even if the concept is interesting and would save you some time,
it has a cost for all other GIMP users: menu clutter, additional stuff
in the UI, etc.  And of course there is also a cost for the developers,
not only in implementing the feature but also in maintaining it and
fixing bug reports releated to this new feature and its interaction
with other current or future GIMP features.

So unless you can convince the developers that the concept of "Drawing
Zones" would be useful for a significant percentage of GIMP users, you
have to balance the advantages of that new feature with the (minor)
disadvantages that it would cause to all other users.

It looks like the best solution in your case would be to use some
keyboard shortcuts for switching quickly between layers: this would
have a small cost for you without costing anything to anybody else.

> If you work 10 hours + on an image, every click more or less counts.
> Especialy not having to think about any other operation but drawing
> is a big one.

On the other hand, if you work 10+ hours on an image and if you do that
on a regular basis, then you could consider using some additional
input device (e.g. MIDI controller) so that you can bind some of its
controls to GIMP actions.  I haven't checked what is really possible
with cheap MIDI controllers, but you might be able to use a pedal or
something like that and switch layers with your feet.  :-)

-Raphaël