Re: Drawing zones

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 22:06 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> My proposal is about an alternative to using either layers
> or saved selections to draw on areas of an image with sharp
> edges between them.

If I might offer a possible work-around. I have written a some scripts
which permit you to save a selection so that it is associated with a
specific layer. You can then, at a later date, reload that selection
while the layer is active.

The Script-fu (available at
http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/zonemasks.scm) adds
three commands to the Layers window's menu (the one you see when you
right-click on a layer preview. They are (I used Simon's term, "zonemask"):

* Save zonemask - Saves the current selection to a channel that has the
same name as the layer. If a channel already exists with that name, it
is replaced.

* Load zonemask - If a channel exists with the same name as the layer,
it is loaded into the selection. If there is no selection associated
with the layer, the selection is cleared (ie, Select None)

* Remove all zonemasks - Removes any channels that are zonemasks. It
does not remove other channels.

I currently attach a parasite (named "zone-mask") to the channel and
assign it the value of the tattoo of the associated layer. The parasites
permit "Remove all zonemasks" to ignore other channels. The value of the
parasite is presently unused but in the future might permit multiple
selections to be associated with a layer.

If I am understanding you correctly, these scripts should be helpful to
you in your workflow. You would still have to manually invert the
selection; but I would point out that the Select menu can torn off so
that "Select->Invert" is just a mouse-click away.

If nothing else, perhaps you could test the scripts and tell me if
whether I understood your workflow.

A final caveat on the scripts: I do not have a stable install (version
2.2) of the GIMP available right now. I tested the scripts on the
development version (2.3.13) and I tried to account for differences in
coding required. If you have a recent development version (2.3.13)
available, it would be best if you used that.

--------
"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do
not care who gets the credit." -- Harry S. Truman