Re: Re: 2.4 showstoppers

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 15:02 -0800, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> The last version I tried is 2.3.12 and selecting profiles was by file name.
> Most other CM aware software including (but not limited to) photoshop, The
> Windows Color control panel applet, cinepaint, Krita and LProf (should Scibus
> be in this list?) use the profile description tag rather than the file name
> in these drop down lists of profiles.  This has been more or less standard
> for a long time and most CM savvy users will expect this same behavior from
> GIMP at least in the long run.

In the long run, GIMP will probably get this feature. But I would want
color profile selection to live in libgimpui and I don't think we can
get that done for 2.4. For now I was thinking of something hackish as
adding a preview to the file-chooser that shows information about the
selected profile. Not sure if that will get done in time for 2.4 though.

> > File > Properties might be good place also to note if a given image
> > has an embedded profile.
>
> Or perhaps Image > Image Properties
> Or both?

Image > Image Properties already does that. And File > Properties is
gone.

> This is critical.  CM is hard for new users to understand and a little
> documentation will go a long way in helping users get started.

I would like GIMP to ship with sane defaults so that users who don't
care about CM or simply don't know enough about it, aren't forced to do
decisions that they can't do without reading the manual. I will need
some help with this, but I would first like to finish the implementation
of the basic functionality.

Sven