Re: on moving toward a 2.4 release

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

>    GIMP 2.0 was released on March 23, 2004, and then GIMP 2.2 on
>    December 19, 2004.  This was a 9 month release cycle, which is
>    quite reasonable.  Howver, it has been over a year and a half since
>    the 2.2 release, and we are still not visibly nearing a 2.4
>    release.  This slow progress is holding up important things,
>    including, especially, GEGL integration.  What can be done?
>
> Compared with us (Gutenprint), that's still positively speedy.

Compared to Debian stable ...  life cycle of Giant turtles ... etc.

The longer the cycle continues without a release the more often users get
told thing are fixed in CVS or the unstable branch but if they are not
sure what they are doing then they should not use the unstable branch for
important work.

> If GEGL integration really is a hard problem, it's going to come out a
> lot better if you take the time to do it right rather than rushing it.

If I remember the dicussions correctly 2.4 was planned, to be followed by
the integration of the Google summer of code results and then GEGL after
that.  Where you suggest more 2.2 releases more 2.4 was what was
previously suggested.

--
Alan H.