on moving toward a 2.4 release

GIMP 2.0 was released on March 23, 2004, and then GIMP 2.2 on December 19, 2004.
This was a 9 month release cycle, which is quite reasonable.  Howver, it has
been over a year and a half since the 2.2 release, and we are still not visibly
nearing a 2.4 release.  This slow progress is holding up important
things, including, especially, GEGL integration.  What can be done?

The first step is to make a complete list of the remaining critical functionality
issues -- the things that must be resolved in order to permit a string freeze.
The most reasonable way of making such a list is to use Bugzilla:  every
critical issue should have a bug report with target milestone set to 2.4,
and severity set to "Blocker".  Things that will not prevent a string freeze
should not be marked as blockers at this time.

I would like to suggest that we set a hard deadline (say Sept 1) for identifying
critical functionality issues -- that is, if an issue does not have a "Blocker"
bug report by then, it will not be considered critical, and will not prevent
a string freeze.  Once we have a complete list of issues, we can make a
concrete plan on how to deal with them, and start moving forward more
efficiiently.

In any case, something has to be done to blast us out of the current state
of near-paralysis.

  -- Bill

Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu