Re: Is there a way to update the cursor position from within a tool?

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 12:15 +0200, Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
> On Friday 28 July 2006 11:30, saulgoode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Quoting Karl Günter Wünsch <kgw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > > That's why I would like to update the cursor position after all of
> > > the calculations are through to reflect the results.
> >
> > Are you saying that you wish the pointer to be forced to the
> > calculated corner of a (aspect ratio) constrained mouse movement? If
> > this is what you mean then I am almost certain this is contrary to the
> > GNOME Human Interface Guidelines
> > (http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/index.html).
> What is so wrong in this case to have the cursor follow the only possible path
> that is within the constraints. Because if you don't then you end up with a
> pointer position that doesn't correspond to the current selection anymore.

Well we don't do that when snapping to guides and the grid either, and
as said before, it's a totally non-standard way of dealing with
snapping. The mouse pointer should always be driven by the user, not
by the application, and until recently, gtk didn't even have an API
to wrap the mouse, for just that reason.

We won't add that to GIMP.

ciao,
--mitch