Re: [carol@xxxxxxxx: Re: fact roundup]

Carol Spears wrote:
> i discovered that the only way to get access to gnome information and
> booth stuff here is to have been owen taylors girlfriend at one time.  i
> was never this and have not been able to get too much more information
> beyond this.

See, this is both absurd and ridiculous, as well as being quite rude to
someone who is most unlikely to even see the insult.

You get to do lots of stuff by (1) taking your destiny into your own
hands, and (2) gaining the respect of people around the project you're
working on over time. (3) Be careful not to lose the respect you gained
by going nuts.

You get to go to trade shows to talk about GIMP or GNOME by sending an
email to the trade show organisers asking for a GIMP stand, and then going.

You get access to money by suggesting what we can spend money on, and
then asking for it. We have donors, we have money. You can also try
looking for sponsors, as I did for Kristiansand and Lyon.

> i suggest that the GNOME people who are handling the money explain how
> they work instead?

GIMP people handle the GIMP's money. Myself, Sven and (from today, or
perhaps tomorrow) mitch. We receive all mail from GIMP donations, and up
until a few months ago, reply to it all thanking the donors (I have a
backlog). For every GIMP expense, I ask Sven what he thinks, and usually
details are posted here. We used to get monthly reports of the state of
the GIMP's finances, but since the departure of Tim Ney from the
foundation we haven't gotten those.

> with an emphasis on the "working" part.  it seems to
> work like this.  they get the money, then they put their logo on the
> poster and tell owen taylors ex-girlfriends about it.  what points in
> the process am i missing?

Money arrives magically from the money fairies. It gets hoarded by the
evil GNOMEs until it doubles in size, then the GNOMEs cream 60% off the
top, and the poor rat-head Wilber gets less than was given. No-one knows
what to do with the money, so it rots in the GNOME's bank account.
Sometimes, someone decides to do something with the money, does it, and
then gets called dishonest. Of course, he was dishonest, because it
wasn't his money, it was the rat-head's, and the rat-head should decide.

What part am I missing?

Cheers,
Dave.

--