Fwd: Old and new [Re: new default icon theme proposal]

.. I meant to send that to the list. Sorry if this is duplicated; gimpdev didn't show up on the list of recipients.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jun 21, 2006 10:59 PM
Subject: Re: Old and new [Re: new default icon theme proposal]
To: Sven Neumann < sven@xxxxxxxx>

After actually trying the new icon theme:

* The Scissors icon is the only vague tool icon -- i think the semi-transparent areas should be colored darker.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/style/iconedit/blurry-scissors.png

* The path and paths icon are somewhat indistinct:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/style/iconedit/indistinct-paths.png

So I tuned them a bit, with the following results:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/style/iconedit/stock-path-16.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/style/iconedit/stock-path-22.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/style/iconedit/stock-paths-22.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/style/iconedit/stock-paths-16.png

Which perhaps can replace the current ones.
Mainly, it hurts clarity to use antialiasing on 45 degree lines; but I also cleaned up all the antialiasing of the path line.

* The Ink icon is the best -- clear, iconic, and attractive.
* The Undo icon is a massive improvement on it's predecessor.
* While the Duplicate icon is a little confusing at first, it's definitely more distinct and clear than it's predecessor.
* The Convert To Indexed icon is wonderfully colorful -- reminds me of Rainbow Islands.