Re: Suggestion: Make the 'New layer'commanddefaultto 'New lay

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:52:08 +0400
> From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: GIMPDev <gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  Suggestion: Make the 'New
>     layer'commanddefaultto 'New lay
>
> On 5/17/06, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> > I think like this:
> > For maximum workflow, one should be able to do as many things simultaneously
> > as possible, wouldn't you agree with that?
>
> What else can I do while creating a new layer except scratching my
> poor head and holding a paper? :)
>
> Again, I would like consistent user interface. If GIMP uses
> Shift+Click for using last settings and bypass an extra dialog in
> several places, I want it to always work that way, throughout UI.

It works for Layers, Channels, and Paths.  Good consistency.

Doesn't seem to work for the Templates dialog.
Doesn't work for brushes or gradients but in that case it is more like
Edit gradient than New gradient so it probably isn't applicable.

Cannot think of other places to test.

> If you point is in bypassing all "extra" dialogs by default, then it
> is a subject to a usability study. I can't see how possibly we can

I couldn't agree more with the point Simon made about discoverability and
the workflow optimisation should take second place in this situation,
especially since this was all based on trial and error and the developers
came to this decision the hard way.

> decide changing what many people already got used to without studying
> user experience of at least part of them.

It is a tough burden to require usability testing to prove every suggested
change but in this there effectively has been a substantial body of
testing already.

--
Alan