Re: Gimp certification

On Sun, 14 May 2006, David [utf-8] Gómez wrote:

> Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 12:51:52 +0200
> From: "David [utf-8] Gómez" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: null@xxxxxxxxx
> Cc: GIMPDev <gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  Gimp certification
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> On May 14 at 12:25:59, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > In all seriousness I would not risk putting the word "gimp" anywhere on my
> > CV and I have had funny reactions (funny weird, never funny ha ha) when
> > explaining the GIMP to users not already familiar with it.
>
> Remember that not in all languages the "gimp" word has funny connotations,

Which doesn't change the point I was making one bit.  The original authors
were English speakers and in the unlikely event they were university
students and somehow unfamiliar with the film Pulp Fiction (1994) it is
even more unlikely they didn't know of the dictionary definations of the
word.  Point it is the name does cause embarassment to some who have to
explain it to other English speakers more familiar with the other meanings
of the word and the attempt at humour in the name just makes it that
little bit harder to get the GIMP taken seriously.

--
Alan