Re: Gimp certification

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Carol Spears wrote:

> Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 15:55:39 -0700
> From: Carol Spears <carol@xxxxxxxx>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>      GIMPDev <gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  Gimp certification
>
> On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 08:21:50PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 13 May 2006, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Besides that, certifications are sometimes sought for those without
> > > the abilities or application to stand by themselves, either in their
> > > C.V. or personally.
> >
> > Listing "GIMP" [1] as one of your qualifications on a resume is more
> > likely than usual to result in misunderstandings over the project name.
> > I wouldn't risk it, you never know what the evil people in Human Resources
> > might do to you.

> this is an interesting idea/observation.  i wonder if you can clarify by
> either presenting a real life example of this or by stating clearly that
> this is what you imagine might happen.

In all seriousness I would not risk putting the word "gimp" anywhere on my
CV and I have had funny reactions (funny weird, never funny ha ha) when
explaining the GIMP to users not already familiar with it.  If you really
wanted to make a point and include it then "GNU Image Manipulation
Program" would get the job done.  Besides if one was applying for a
graphics job it would be your portfolio which was important not your
familiarity with particular software, although I'm sure it would be a
bonus to know a variety of creative tools.  (I do list that I am familiar
with scripting in scheme.)

> a statement like this, if it really could happen, would clearly show how
> completely unprofessional the "professional world" would be and would be
> a very good reason for good people to take things over.

Interviewers are notoriously shallow, how few people risk going to a job
interview not wearing a suit?  (Rhetorical question.)

--
Alan