Re: gimp with large files. test.

Invalid?
Well photoshop 7 runs fast in wine. fast enough that it even significantly out performs gimp in areas. there are even a number of benchmarks showing wine to be faster then XP on the same PC. winning about half the tests thrown at it.

There not exact benchmarks, but they indicate that Photoshop uses different methods then the gimp to operate on images.

EG. If painting in both apps are about the same for painting on a 8000x8000 image.
you can assume they use a roughly similar painting method.

if Curves on Phoposhop is instant, and takes 3 second on the gimp. then photoshops doing somthing gimp isnt.

Also, a lot of people are interested in an image editor for Linux- Photoshop+Wine is that. (albeit X86 only)

- Cam

Andreas Røsdal wrote:
Hello Campbell,

You're benchmarking is invalid.
What you have really tested here is only how good Photoshop performs
when emulated with Wine. If you test in with native Windows, I'm sure you will get a different result.

Andreas Røsdal

Campbell Barton wrote:
Hi, I just heared a linux link teach show where a girl was saying that the gimp didnt handel as large files as photoshop.

wanted to test this out, so I set my tile cache to 512meg. and undo to 512 also..

and made an 8000x8000 file in the gimp and Photoshop and did some tests.

Gimp CVS as of today and Photoshop 7 under wine.

* Painting with an 1000 size brush, both performed about the same on both.
* Curves was much faster on photoshop.

I tried gimp and photoshop with nice -20, highest priority) -
Gimp was noticable faster..
Photoshop didnt make much difference, (not sure how wine handels nice)

From the updates to curve, it looks like the tile size for photoshop is Higher then teh gimps. I was wondering is there a way to increase gimps tilesize - would there be any benifit?

On the other hand, Photoshop may be working on a smaller copy of the image at 1:1,
has this been considered by the gimp dev's?

--
Campbell J Barton

133 Hope Street
Geelong West, Victoria 3218 Australia