Re: Project proposal: Resource contribution, distribution and management system (was: Re: Google Summer of Code 2006, to whom it may concern)

eek! i am replying to my own reply!
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:18:26PM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:52:32PM +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > On 4/17/06, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> >
> > > The initial idea:
> > >
> > > Provide a system that allows anyone to contribute and maintain resources
> > > (brushes, palettes, scripts, plug-ins, ...) for GIMP, and have it
> > > organized in a way that makes it easy for GIMP users to access these
> > > resources.
> >
> > I wonder if you have read this:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/create/2006-March/000314.html
> > ;-)
> >
> we have been discussing a gimptool-get which would be similar to debians
> apt for a very long while.
>
> the same way that the web site redesign has been "in my head" and the
> tools sitting right on my computer, i think that this framework already
> exists in the minds of people who are currently working on gimp and
> still involved.
>
> my idea is that these people should get this stuff off from their
> computers and get it working within the gimp project.  then, since gimp
> is free and gpl, creative commons can get it, fix the problems and gpl
> and cc can start to work together again.  or for the first time, i
> dunno.
>
> we all have personal agendas.  me included.  i feel that a time of
> testing everyones little personal agendas for what will work and what
> will not work has been long enough for everyone to work it out for
> themselves.
>
> creative commons was as bad to gimp as google was.  not including gimp
> in things.  i tried to discuss this with people involved there and all i
> got was some fuzzy blog things about creative commons not being a
> commune.  i will be honest with anyone involved with that stuff, this is
> no way for projects to communicate or work together.
>
> that being said, it is difficult to show anything while all this stuff
> sits on the developers computers and doesn't make it to the public.

news from the front:

manish singh (yosh on irc) has agreed to put his idea for the framework
for gimptool-get into something that can be useful as a SoC project.

carol