Re: Re: Comments on gimp's interface

Hi,

Akkana Peck wrote:

First, a dialog that says "You are about to save a layer mask as
JPEG. This will not save the visible layers." So what WILL it save?
There's no way of telling from the text in the dialog.
Options are:  [Cancel]  [Confirm], so Confirming is really
the only choice.

Or Cancelling, and moving the focus to a real layer rather than a mask, then returning to File->Save As...

I must admit I have to do this quite frequently.

Export is almost always the right answer, since that saves the
image as you're looking at it in the image window -- even if you
just dismissed that scary layer mask dialog that said it wouldn't
save the visible layers.

Is this intended behaviour, or a bug?

This would all be so much clearer if Save As just saved the current
image (the whole thing, flattening as necessary without pestering
the user about it). For people who want to save just one layer
(or mask), offer a separate menu item for that, perhaps in the
context menu of the layers dialog, as well as in either the File
or Layers main menubar.

Perhaps a menu item: Layers -> Mask -> Export... would be the most logical solution - and then remove the dual-function on File -> Save / Save As?

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson