Re: Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK

Hint- buy some more ram. - I have edited some 1.8gig images on a PC with 4gig of ram using the gimp, its not that fast- but it was useable.

I know you probably want an sdk that can handle images bigger then your physical memory- but you cant have the best of all worlds. Large images + Low Ram + Fast editing just isnt that possible- unless the operations can be edited on tiles as you suggest. not all func's can be tiled, so probably to save your self some time - buy a 1gig chip.

Limin Zhang wrote:
Hi,
I am not sure if it is suitable to ask this question here. But it makes me crazy for many days. I am looking for an image SDK which can process an image of size, for example, more than 1GB. I tried to open an image file(*.tiff) of size 800MB GIMP on my computer, WinXP, PIV 2.4GHZ, and 1GB memory. It is too slow. It is impossible to edit it. Since tiled tiff can be used to store/process large image, I am wondering if GIMP makes use of it. If not, can anyone do me a favor to let me know what SDK I can use? Sorry for the spam Thanks a million in advance Limin