Re: Bring Back the Keyboard!

Hi,

Akkana Peck <akkana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It really is fairly tricky with the new file selector to explain to
> people how to get to files in ~/.gimp (for instance, to save or
> manage custom brushes, gradients etc.)

Perhaps the question that we should ask ourselves is, why do we
require users to work with files in hidden directories? I think this
is the actual problem here. The user should never ever have to do
this. We need to either move some of our resource files into a visible
folder or we need to provide a user interface to manage resource files
that doesn't involve using a file manager.

> I know this isn't the place to flame about the gtk file selector and
> save-as dialogs ...  but given that GIMP does use the new dialogs
> now, and that there are sometimes valid reasons to need to open or
> save images inside the GIMP profile, has there been any thought on
> adding a gimp-specific button in GIMP's version of the dialogs which
> would take the user directly to the user's GIMP profile?  That is
> possible with the current dialogs, isn't it?

That's a matter of adding this single line of code in the right places:

  gtk_file_chooser_add_shortcut_folder (GTK_FILE_CHOOSER (dialog),
                                        gimp_directory(), NULL);

We already do this in a few places, like for example the Curves and
Levels open and save dialogs.

But I prefer the other solution that I outlined above.

Sven