Re: Bring Back the Keyboard!

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 06:00 am, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Scott <drmemory@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Haven't had time to extensively check out the newest version, and
> > I'm sure it has a lot of nifty new features: BUT one think that
> > irks me right away is not having any option to type in a filename
> > on the 'open' dialogue!
>
> There is nothing that keeps you from typing a filename in the file
> open dialog.  Perhaps you should just give it a try one day. But,
> and I think this has already been pointed out, this is something
> that you should sort out with the GTK+ developers.

Unless, of course, the filename is in the ~/.gimp-2.x dir and you try
to getthere by start typing "."

I am serious about this: I _lost_ almost 20 minutes in a 3 hour
workshop trying to get people to open files in ~/.gimp-2.x - and
after that I still had to try to explain  why ctrl+l + ".gimp-2.2" +
<enter>  would work, and ".gimp-2.2" + <enter>, although displaying
something would do nothing.
Most people windows users for the first time using a GNU/Linux
desktop. I guess they won't come be coming back any soon now.

I think it is quite clear by now that this lack of a visible place to
type a filename is damaging to both all of gnome, the Gimp, and in
situations like the above, to the whole Free Software movement. The
current "transparent type" hack simply does not work as it should -
if it should at all.

Regards,
Joao