Re: More Windows Newbie Build Problems

OK, I've grabbed all the latest versions of the libs that I could find.

I'm now getting the following error:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.8.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.
OK. Script is finished now.

Earlier, the output is as follows:

$ compilegimpshellscript.sh
Starting to get build environment for gimp, using gtk 2.6
Testing if wget is available...
OK
Testing if unzip is available...
OK
Downloading GTK-packages...
Already there - extracting glib-2.8.4.
Already there - extracting glib-dev-2.8.4.
Already there - extracting gtk+-2.8.9.
Already there - extracting gtk+-dev-2.8.9.
Already there - extracting pango-1.10.1.
Already there - extracting pango-dev-1.10.1.
Already there - extracting atk-1.10.3.
Already there - extracting atk-dev-1.10.3.
OK

There seems to be something wrong with glib--any suggestions about how to fix this?

Cheers,

Chris

Lance Dockins wrote:
Chris Share wrote:

I'm currently using Pango version 1.10.1 which is in the gtk/2.8 folder. There isn't a windows folder in the 2.9 folder however there are later versions of Pango. Should I use one of these?

Chris,
The 2.9 folder is the development version of GTK. 2.8 is the latest stable series of GTK and would be the best version to compile against. In any event, you're not going to find Windows binaries of 2.9 for a while. At least, that's what seems to be typical. Just grab the latest binaries from the 2.8 series. While the latest binary versions of GTK for Windows haven't been posted yet, you should be able to get by with what's available.

I don't know anything about the build script. I found it at

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows?highlight=%28windows%29

If this script in only a convenience, what's the recommended way of building the GIMP on Windows?

This script is a convenience tool. As a matter of fact, even the CompileGIMP.sh script is a convenience tool. You could manually follow the instructions from the script to install MSys, MinGW, and ActivePerl to compile GIMP against, but as mentioned previously in this thread, manually building your compile environment can be more troublesome than anything else when compiling in Windows. And CompileGIMP.sh (unless it's been updated recently) only references libraries and files from GTK 2.6. That's fine unless you plan to compile the GIMP 2.3 series from tarball or CVS. They require GTK 2.8.

Hope this helps.

Lance