Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: GIMP and multiple processors

On 01.03.2005, at 16:42, GSR - FR wrote:

"GSR" (?) already gave such an example.
It might be worth considering only supersampling when the end of a segment is
a different color than the start of the next one.

Supersampling is to avoid aliasing, which is not caused only by those
discontinuities but high frequency data (IIRC abrupt change is like
infinite frequency). You can have aliasing with a square wave
(segments that do not match) but also with a sine wave (segments that
match).

Right. But where in reality can this happen using a gradient blend?

I just played around with the blend tool on a 100x100px image and
looked very closely for any artifacts with and without
supersampling. The result was that I couldn't produce any visible
aliasing effects no matter how hard I try other than by using
a sawtooth repeat pattern. That seems like a *huge* price to pay
for something that can be easily done by accident.

What does the commercial counterpart offer here?

Servus,
      Daniel