Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: [Inkscape-devel] common interface for graphics apps on the"free desktop"

Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Jakub Steiner wrote:
>
>> An inconsistency that came up while I was working on
>> something is the mouse wheel behavior. GIMP uses shift+scroll wheel to
>> zoom, Inkscape Ctrl+mousewheel. GIMP uses Alt+mousewheel to pan
>> horizontally, Inkscape uses Shift+mousewheel. I've filed this as
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1115612&group_id=93438&atid=604306

Correction: GIMP uses Ctrl+wheel to pan horizontally, not Alt.

> According to the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines Inkscape is using the
> preferred behaviour (and although I would need to double check I am
> reasonably sure this behaviour is consistant with Apple and Microsoft
> guidelines).
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/input.html#mouse-buttons
> Ctrl-scrollwheel-up should zoom into the window or control under the mouse
> pointer, and Ctrl-scrollwheel-down should zoom out. Zooming in this way
> should not move keyboard focus to the window or control being zoomed.

Perhaps we should just swap the Shift and Ctrl modifiers for display
scrolling to be consistent with the HIG and across graphics apps.

ciao,
--mitch