[Gimp-developer] Re: [Inkscape-devel] common interface for graphics apps on the"free desktop"

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Jakub Steiner wrote:

> Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:57:45 +0100
> From: Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: inkscape-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cc: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] common interface for graphics apps on the "free
>     desktop"
>
> One of the good things about Adobe's product line is that they "work
> together". Same tasks require the same interface. Shortcuts are
> consistent.
>
> On the free desktop we have two major graphics applications, Inkscape
> (http://www.inkscape.org) and GIMP (http://www.gimp.org). It will not be
> uncommon to have users needing both apps in their workflow. I hope you
> guys agree trying to have similar consistency helps to provide a sane
> user experience.

There is definately some room to improve consistancy that wont bother
either project but as I'm sure you are aware Inkscape quite deliberately
has a different user interface from the GIMP so hopefully we can stick to
the bits everyone can agree on.

It is probably worth mentioning that Inkscape is likely to implement some
form of dock to help manage the Palette windows.  It is also likely in the
long term that the toolbar widgets in Inkscape will become more flexible
allowing a somewhat more flexible layout of the user interface.

> To be specific, there are areas where GIMP & Inkscape provide similar
> functionality in a slightly different way. For now I will ignore the
> path tool.

> An inconsistency that came up while I was working on
> something is the mouse wheel behavior. GIMP uses shift+scroll wheel to
> zoom, Inkscape Ctrl+mousewheel. GIMP uses Alt+mousewheel to pan
> horizontally, Inkscape uses Shift+mousewheel. I've filed this as
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1115612&group_id=93438&atid=604306

According to the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines Inkscape is using the
preferred behaviour (and although I would need to double check I am
reasonably sure this behaviour is consistant with Apple and Microsoft
guidelines).

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/input.html#mouse-buttons
Ctrl-scrollwheel-up should zoom into the window or control under the mouse
pointer, and Ctrl-scrollwheel-down should zoom out. Zooming in this way
should not move keyboard focus to the window or control being zoomed.

> It would be cool if somebody found the motivation to write up some
> extension to the Gnome HIG, defining a standard behaviour for gfx apps
> (*hint* *hint* ;).

I do agree that a section describing how best to design Palette Dialogs
is needed as they need to be compact and are quite different from the
standard transient dialogs described by the current guidelines.

> Sorry for cross posting, but I hope to initiate some discussion among
> both camps.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

(Feel free to reply to one list or both but please don't CC me)