Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: "Improved" rect select tool

Hi there,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:06:21PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> > 1.
> > We may have any number of selection tools. If this selection
> > tool does not fit perfectly to somebody's working habits,
> > then we will write two slightly different variants of this tool.
> > (We also should have configurable tool palettes and menues
> > if we start having large number of specialized tools.)
> >
> > So, please, Sven & all, don't overrun somebody's suggestion
> > unless absolutely necessary.
> >
> selections can easily be saved as paths.

Agreed. But it's cumbersome. The workflow would look like this: Select
approximate region, convert to path, (probably give path a sensible
name) use path tool to edit path (which is complicated if I want a
precise rectangle), convert to selection, apply filter / whatever.

Using the described rect select tool, it would work like this: Select
approximate area, fine-tune (probably zooming in and out as required),
ready.

> there is a point where people who are used to other apps would do well
> to familiarize themselves with the good things that TheGIMP has always
> been able to do.

Agreed.

> one look at the art work that was made with gimps 1.0 and before should,
> in my humble opinion, cause people new to this application to say they
> are sorry and perhaps rethink how they work.

In my opinion, this is not an argument. Just because people were able to
produce good stuff with The GIMP 1.0, one cannot conclude that GIMP 1.0
was perfect. There are a lot of examples where good work is created with
bad (or at least improvable) tools.

> > 2.
> > >  If "Adjustable" is checked, then the shape of the rectangle can
> > >be modified after it has been drawn, by moving the corners in the
> > >same way that works for the crop tool.
> >
> there is nothing more adjustable than a layer that you make and use as a
> mask.  it is easier on your computer and everything saves with less
> space being taken in the file.

We're not talking about persistent stuff here. We're talking about a
short-time selection operation. The result of the operation will be a
selection. I don't want to have a layer here, I just want to select some
rectangular area (precisely), then operate on it, then forget it.

Bye, Tino.