Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: "Improved" rect select tool

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:13:27AM +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: "William Skaggs" <weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >  I have been working on a new rectangle-select tool to meet some
> >of the deficiencies of the existing one
>
> Thank you!
>
> 1.
> We may have any number of selection tools. If this selection
> tool does not fit perfectly to somebody's working habits,
> then we will write two slightly different variants of this tool.
> (We also should have configurable tool palettes and menues
> if we start having large number of specialized tools.)
>
> So, please, Sven & all, don't overrun somebody's suggestion
> unless absolutely necessary.

selections can easily be saved as paths.

all of this can be done with layers and layer masks.

there is a point where people who are used to other apps would do well
to familiarize themselves with the good things that TheGIMP has always
been able to do.

one look at the art work that was made with gimps 1.0 and before should,
in my humble opinion, cause people new to this application to say they
are sorry and perhaps rethink how they work.

> 2.
> >  If "Adjustable" is checked, then the shape of the rectangle can
> >be modified after it has been drawn, by moving the corners in the
> >same way that works for the crop tool.

there is nothing more adjustable than a layer that you make and use as a
mask.  it is easier on your computer and everything saves with less
space being taken in the file.

this selection stuff is all how other apps work.  the fact that gimp
does more with selections now was a war with these other applications.

> Make it also adjustable by moving the edges. Otherwise with
> large images, it becomes impossible to select areas precisely:
> in a zoomed view, one may see only the edge of the rectangle.

once again, use the guides and make a layer to use as a mask.

bill is working on gimp documentation and exif stuff and a whole list of
other things as well.

if really crazy abuse/use/overuse of selections is what you need for
your work, perhaps photoshop still needs your money.  in fact, it
probably does.

> 3.
> >Once it is satisfactory,
> >clicking inside the rectangle converts it into a selection.  Clicking
> >outside the rectangle cancels the tool.

that is because use of selections for this work is insane and not very
well thought out.

please try to do all of this logically with layers.

> A while ago I proposed that the selection is created each time
> the grab&drag is released. When one starts re-adjusting the rectangle,
> the previously created selection is deleted.

i propose that you review the information about handling layers and
layer masks.

> That means that "quitting" the tool can be done by switching
> to another tool or by applying an effect. And that one does
> have one-to-one match between the rect and the selection, in
> realtime. (One could use that kind of interactively realtime
> selection in future GIMP version.)

better to work independent of tools.

if you must have all this selection stuff, by all means, play with the
selection to path opportunities that are already there and see if this
doesnt help with most of what you "need" here.

> Only cancel operation must be implemented.
>
> 4.
> >  If "Adjustable" is not checked, then the rectangle is converted
> >to a selection as soon as the mouse button is released.  (That is, it
> >behaves like the existing rect-select.)

saving your selection wishes as a layer and using it as a mask should do
all of this.

> That is bad. But also unnecessary if you implement the tool
> as described above.
>
> BTW, who can do selections with non-adjustable tool?
> In existing rect tool, it is pain to start the selection from
> scratch if the selection is not good in the first place.
> Try it also with large images, impossible.

try working with the layers.  to me this is all cruft being introduced
for no good reason.

> 5.
> >  If "Show dialog" is checked, then a dialog closely resembling the
> >crop tool dialog is shown whenever the tool is working, allowing
>
> As said, if you want this dialog, an another version can be written
> for us. Please write the tool you like, and then we have to modify your
> tool to fit to our needs. One tool for you, another tool for us.

get cracking.  i suggest calling it potatoshop.

> OK. It is just one new tool to the set. You write it your own way.
> We must accept it because it sounds like a good tool already.
> Whiners can write their own tools. Remember, we accepted the existing
> braindead rect tool years ago. Nothing can be worse.

i think photoshop actually needs you to buy their products.

developing gimp is not going to be fun if others realize, as i have,
that this war has been won.

instead of destroying gimp with cruft -- give the bad guys some money so
we have someone to fight still.

if you like this application, you could learn how to use it.

thanks,
carol