[Gimp-developer] Re: Color Management was GEGL development/gimp integration

Hello Sven,

thank you for your reply!

Sven Neumann wrote:

> Gerhard Gaußling <ggrubbish@xxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Okay, so I assume, that my (and Hal's and Jan-Peter's) suggestions have
>> to wait for the release after GEGL? For a new rendering-engine further to
>> GEGL? GIMP 3.0?
>
> Why? Almost everything you listed can already be done in GIMP.  It's
> just a bit akward to do it from a user interface point of view and
> that's what we want to improve for GIMP 2.4.

This is good to hear!

>> Desired is a 'On the fly' Softproof.
>
> Could you explain what you mean by "on the fly softproof" and how that
> is any different to the softproof that's available?

What kind of softproof is available? Hmm.. I can nothing similar find here.

I got under Image > Separate > Proof the possibility of an Softproof (plug
in 'separate' by Alistair M. Robinson). It shows up a dialog which asks me
the Source Profile "/usr/lib/scribus/profiles/AdobeRGB1998.icc" and the
Destination Profile
"/usr/lib/scribus/profiles/USWebCoatedSWOP.icc" (defaults, should be
eciRGB.icc and isocoated.icc according to eci.org [1]) and the checkboxes
"Preserve Pure Black" and "Overprint Pure Black". If I press OK I got the
message-dialog "PROOF IMAGE Image is not separated...". So I have to
separate the image first into cmyk mode by the plugin 'separate'. That's
not a Softproof 'on the fly'.

So I have to seperate the image first. I do it with the default profiles. A
new image with the CMYK separated RGB shows up (5 layers, 4 layers CMYK
mode 'darken only' 1 Background, Image in RGB Mode, if I save that it will
be saved as cmyk tif). The 3rd step is to proof that image with the CMYK
profile. A 3rd image pops up (RGB, 1 Layer)... That's Not a "on the fly
preview" at all.

Please, I'm sorry for my sad english, and I hope this all doesn't sounds to
rude. I wanted only spend some Information of an user point of view, that's
all...

regards

Gerhard

[1] http://www.eci.org/eci/en/044_working_colour_spaces.php