Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Color Management was GEGL development/gimp integration

Hi Gerhard,

Gerhard Gaußling wrote:
> I'm not a Programmer, but isn't it possible to make a plug-in which load's
> the icc information at a first step, to offer the user the ability to
> decide in which way he wants to handle the file regarding it's color space?

It would be possible to do the following:

- load image's raw data, and ICC profile
- During display, convert from source colorspace to display
  colorspace
- During saving, save the originally loaded ICC profile back to
  file, if the format supports it, or convert to sRGB if it
  doesnt.

The problems with that approach are

- Lots of elements in the GIMP are not colorspace aware - for
  example, you would have to modify the paint tools to detect
  whether there was an ICC profile associated with a display they
  were painting to, and color convert the (sRGB) data that they
  are painting. This is not possible currently, and Sven has
  expressed a desire that color management be kept out of the
  core in the past.
- Data which enters the image from other sources (copy & paste
  from another image, for example) may have been in a different
  colorspace, requiring convertion or some other funkiness to
  keep things coherent inside the image

> After this step the file will be converted into the choosed colorspace[*]
> and then loaded into the gimp, displayed in the working colorspace,
> corrected by the monitor profile, with the possibility to choose a "color
> proof view" with a selectable icc profile for the soft proof.

We currently have the ability to do color proofs with external
ICC profiles. THe interface to the loading of the profiles isn't
perfect yet, but it's there.

Cheers,
Dave.

--