Re: [Gimp-developer] cvs gimp depends on jade?

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:07:55 +0100, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Raphaël Quinet <quinet@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I think that it would be better to have an option in autogen.sh and
> > configure.in that allows the CVS users to skip the API doc
> > generation.  This would make it easier to test the latest version on
> > multiple platforms without having to wait for a GIMP tarball or to
> > install all gtk-doc dependencies.
>
> configure.in depends on gtkdocize being present and it uses macros
> that are defined in gtkdoc.m4 so there is no way to make this
> optional.

Would you accept a patch that could make it optional?  I haven't tried
this yet, but it should be possible to modify autogen.sh in such a way
that (when given the appropriate option) it would supply a substitute
for gtkdoc.m4 so that the configure script could be generated from
configure.in without requiring every build machine to have a working
gtkdoc.  This would be a bit similar to the way the configure script
itself uses the "missing" script when some commands are not installed
on the build machine.

In another message, you wrote:
> Use a tarball then. If you are building GIMP from CVS you are a hacker
> and you need the tools that are required to build GIMP including the
> developer documentation.

If you build the GIMP on multiple platforms, you only need the developer
documentation once.

I have one machine (based on Debian testing) that can build the docs.  I
am happy with that and I would like to avoid having to set up gtkdoc on
the other ones, especially on the old Solaris boxes that don't have any
of the packages that gtkdoc depends on.  Yet I would like to use the CVS
version on these machines so that I can test (and maybe improve) the
latest code without having to wait for a tarball.  Also, with a tarball
it is difficult to do "cvs diff" or "cvs log" while trying to track down
how a bug could have appeared in a section of the code.

-Raphaël