Re: [Gimp-developer] cvs gimp depends on jade?

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:30:18 -0800, Carol Spears <carol@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:21:34PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> >
> > does it make sense that i need jade to work on images with a piece of
> > free software that is not as free as jade or open jade?
> >
> this was a mistyped thought.  it should be:
>
> does it make sense that gimp, which is free and open depend on a rather
> large piece of software that is only open and not free?

I had the same problem this weekend: my CVS builds for Solaris and for
some older Linux systems broke due to the new test for gtkdocize in
autogen.sh and in the configure script.  Until last week, it was
sufficient for me to build the API docs on an up-to-date Linux system
(Debian testing) and then skip that step for my CVS builds for Solaris
and older Linux versions (Debian stable, SuSE 8.2).  This allowed me
to test the CVS builds without having to install all gtk-doc
dependencies on the older systems for which I have to build and
install all new packages from source.

I think that it would be better to have an option in autogen.sh and
configure.in that allows the CVS users to skip the API doc generation.
This would make it easier to test the latest version on multiple
platforms without having to wait for a GIMP tarball or to install all
gtk-doc dependencies.

-Raphaël