new gfig [Re: [Gimp-developer] canvas background options]

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:31:13 +0100
> From: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] canvas background options
>
> Hi,
>
> Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I was unable to get to use the gimp 2.1 series until recently.  I
> > cannot provide feedback only when it suits your timetable.  When I
> > pointed out problems with 2.0 you gave out to me for not mentioning
> > them during the 1.3 cycle so I am making my points before 2.2 is
> > released.
>
> A couple of days before 2.2 is released and a long time after the
> feature set and the user interface has been frozen. Not a very good
> timing. But of course we are always open for suggestions.
>
> Even though it seems rather useless, let me point you to bug #142996

Thank you that is intersting and helpful, I had not seen that report
before.  I didn't realise there was a context menu on the old button.  I
never would have accidentally discovered context menu with such a tiny
context target area.

> > (I really hope Gfig will be rolled back as the developer working on
> > it has previously suggested, it is definately not ready for 2.2)
>
> We have another developer working on it at the moment and he's
> contributing his free time for the task of finishing the changes to
> GFig that Bill started. This comment of yours (and you did the same
> comment on gnomedesktop.org) is discouraging, nothing else. Please try
> to avoid this in the future.

It might help you to understand my negativity when I explain that the
underlying instability of windows doesn't do the gimp any favours.  When
binaries are available windows is the easiest platform to test on and in a
way the instability of the platform is actually helpful for testing.  I
have tried to compile the gimp serveral times during 2.1 but rather than
asking even more questions here and needing to chase down and compile lots
of little dependancies and parts of the toolchain I dont have I waited
for more releases to try again (until eventually there was a windows
binary I could test with).

My comments [1] were very restrained, I did say it had potential.  The new
SDI application style inteface for Gfig will be very good as it is an
easier way to present all the features that Gfig managed to cram into the
old dialog style of interface.  The Gfig had crashed several times
(reproducably and in different places) and if I recall correctly it
crashed badly enough to take the rest of the gimp down with it.  Feedback
takes time, and I haven't gotten around to checking if the problems are
known issues or writing a detailed explaination of how to reproduce them
or otherwise tracking them down.  I have started to David Odin offlist
about it further.

- Alan H.

[1] The new Gfig is definately is a bit rough around the edges. It has a
lot of potential though. It really should be reverted to the old usuable
ugly but stable version for the 2.2 release.