Re: [Gimp-developer] Dialog layouts in 2.2pre1

Hi,

Keith Goatman <k.a.goatman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have used the development version for some time now and there are
> many improvements which I really appreciate.  However, I have a couple
> of questions about two of the dialogs which have changed.
>
> 1. What is the advantage of the new file selection dialog?  I find it
>    much more difficult to use (even after having stumbled across the
>    ctrl+L facility).

Despite the fact that it has a sane API (which the old widgets didn't
have), it also has a number of useability improvements like bookmarks,
mime-type icons and the ability to mount volumes. It also features a
Win32 backend and in the future it will allow GIMP to work on remote
files (if we figure out how to use gnome-vfs w/o pulling in too many
dependencies). It is also expected that Search capabilities will be
added in the future (see
http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/docs/file-chooser-extension-spec/)

If you are missing keyboard navigation in the file chooser, you might
want to try a recent GTK+ development snapshot. There have been some
improvements in that area.

> 2. Why has the scale factor (ratio) has been removed from the image
> scale dialog?  I personally found it very useful.

It hasn't been removed but got integrated with the units menu. This
has been suggested by users a while ago.

Sven