[Gimp-developer] directory organisation [was Re: [Gimp-user] Installing plug-ins (fwd)]

One thing I have always admired about the gimp is the logical organisation
of its files on disk.
Unlike most other programs the gimp developers had the foresight to create
a sensible directory structure
/usr/share/gimp
/usr/share/gimp/2.0
/usr/share/gimp/2.2

whereas most applications are less sensibly organised and create files
like
/usr/share/appname
/usr/share/appname2
/usr/share/appname3

The message below from the user list reminded me and I was wondering Would
it be possible to continue this elegent and logical organistion sense to
the same for files in the user home directory and in future have something
like this?
~/.gimp/2.2
~/.gimp/3.0

(I'll file a bug report and try and make a patch if this idea is deemed
acceptable)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan