Re: [Gimp-developer] Right, thats it. I'm off.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 03:21:29AM -0700, miriam clinton (iriXx) wrote:

> I'd suggest, very strongly, as this has happened to me before in the
> GNU/Linux community, that this happened because I used my real, female,
> name. When I use my alias, iriXx, people assume I'm male, and I never
> get these problems. The list where this happened, by the way, was
> linux-audio-dev.

i highly recommend subscribing to the new chix list, although it was set
up to help females begin with linux without the fear of some of the rude
answers you can get from seasoned and busy developers -- and you
received some very nice email from some of the very important developers
here.

it is always good, in any environment -- one you are being paid in and
one you are volunteering in (it makes no difference) to see who is in
charge and actually doing the work. then pay careful attention to their
comments.

i dont want to lose any savvy women from the community.  there is
somewhat of a pact, however, to use free software from the ground up.
this is very difficult as well.  the purists, like richard, stop before
the pixels draw into the pictures your screen displays, because
technically speaking, the X Server is not free.  if you are going to
"copyleft" something, and your page does not work in copyleft browsers,
you are not helping.  not a critism, a fact.

the new chix list can be found at:
http://www.linuxchix.org/ they can help you learn how to run free
software.  in that non-rude environment, please remember that there are
several people on that list (like this one) who have been in "the design
world" and "published authors" and writing computer software for a very
very long time.  show the respect that you would like to receive.

you need to at least try to use free software first.  please start over
some and come back when you figure this free software stuff out.  it is
cool and fun, and i bet that you will start to be successful in many
more things than just getting your computer to work in a copyleft sort
of way.

also, please consider that richard was flirting.  it is free software so
people contribute for different reasons other than financial.  please
maintain that relationship with richard.  no one here wants to write to
him anymore also ....

carol