Re: [Gimp-developer] Console window on Win32

Replying to your own message is a sign of insanity.  Guilty as charged.  :)

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:47:44 -0400, Nathan Summers <rockwalrus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:15:37 +0000, Tor Lillqvist <tml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sven Neumann writes:
>  >
> > One could even go so far that if there is a consensus among GTK+ app
> > developers (whose apps run on Win32) that the opening of console
> > windows in GLib was a silly idea and has been of little use, that code
> > could just be removed. g_print() etc would then write to stdout or
> > stderr, like on Unix, regardless of whether they are connected to
> > anything or not. It would then be the end user's responsibility to
> > redirect stdout/stderr of a GUI application to a file if they want to
> > see whatever might be written to stdout/stderr.
> >
> > Could we have a raise-of-hands here? Who thinks GLib shouldn't bother
> > doing that console window allocation stuff at all?
>
> I too think it's more trouble than it's worth.  If nothing else, it's
> different from how stdout is treated on X (and I assume other ports as
> well).  Since a lot of Windows GTK stuff is just ported over from X,
> it's likely that the developers don't even know that they are spamming
> the Windows users.

On the other hand, if it were just factored off into a separate
function, and suitable implementations were provided for the other
ports, I could see this as a useful optional g_log handler that a GTK
app could choose to install.

Rockwalrus