Re: [Gimp-developer] Console window on Win32

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:15:37 +0000, Tor Lillqvist <tml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> gtk-app-devel-list people, check the start of this thread from the
> gimp-developer archives at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer%40lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg07988.html
>
> Sven Neumann writes:
>  > There got to be a way to change this behaviour of g_print(), no?
>
> Well, one could redirect stdout and stderr to /dev/null (i.e. NUL: on
> Windows), either in the command line that starts GIMP, or even in GIMP
> itself with freopen(). If stdout or stderr are connected to NUL:, they
> aren't invalid, and g_log() won't open any console window.
>
> One could even go so far that if there is a consensus among GTK+ app
> developers (whose apps run on Win32) that the opening of console
> windows in GLib was a silly idea and has been of little use, that code
> could just be removed. g_print() etc would then write to stdout or
> stderr, like on Unix, regardless of whether they are connected to
> anything or not. It would then be the end user's responsibility to
> redirect stdout/stderr of a GUI application to a file if they want to
> see whatever might be written to stdout/stderr.
>
> Could we have a raise-of-hands here? Who thinks GLib shouldn't bother
> doing that console window allocation stuff at all?

I too think it's more trouble than it's worth.  If nothing else, it's
different from how stdout is treated on X (and I assume other ports as
well).  Since a lot of Windows GTK stuff is just ported over from X,
it's likely that the developers don't even know that they are spamming
the Windows users.

Rockwalrus