Re: [Gimp-developer] New Image dialog usability bug

Hi,

Quoting Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>:
> Since you admit that it is useful, I don't understand why you don't
> want to learn that you need to select the unit first.

Because this isn't the afforded way of doing it. We should aim for affordance
where possible. If people use the width, height and unit to create 5"x3"
postcards, then the way to enter "5 inches by 3 inches" should be natural. This
isn't something I do a lot myself, but I accept that this might be something
people want to do.

> IMO there are two solutions, none of them involve any change in the
> dialog layout:
>
>  (a) Don't set a resolution on the size entry.
>
>  (b) Explain the behaviour in the documentation, close as WONTFIX.

You forgot a third solution, proposed in bugzilla, which you said yourself
wouldn't be too bad, and that is rearranging the frame with the units in it to
look like this:

Units: [mm]
Width: 210
Height: 297

That provides the affordance for people who want to create images by unit, and
also allows us to keep the current behaviour for unit changing without
confusing people too much.

I think that this is a reasonable way to organise things.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary