Re: [Gimp-developer] Should the checkerboard be linked to the window or to the image?

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:41:35AM +0200, David Odin wrote:

> Anyway we have to be consistent here. So, I would like to know what
> you (especially artists) do prefer:
>
> - keep the checkerboard fixed to the drawable for images and previews.
> - have the checkerboard fixed to the window for images and previews.

when i saw this being discussed on the irc, i was thinking about another
option.  depending on the preview size, the checkerboard can make the
transparent image difficult to see (like a text layer where the font is
fairly fine and the color is black, for instance) and i instantly
imagined that it might be easier to have solid backgrounds for previews.
a background color that could be changed on the fly depending on what
sort of image you are working on.

even if the previews get "bigger" as seem to be planned, it seems like
not having checkerboard in a bigger preview would still be a nice
option.  even after you can zoom in on previews.  and really, it might
be the only way to tell the difference between the preview and the image
depending on how big and nice they (the previews) continue to become.

perhaps no checkerboard could also be considered?

carol