Re: [Gimp-developer] Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - not a crop frame]

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 05:53, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Carol Spears <carol@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> > hi, there is an interesting discussion on the gimp-users list.  i
> > forward this because i am suggesting that the floating layer
> > stuff be changed or even removed from this new gimp that has
> > layers and such that work so well now for so long.
>
> I don't think this needs any further discussion. I doubt that
> anyone would seriously disagree that floating selections should be
> removed or at least reduced. The point is that it needs an
> experienced GIMP hacker who wants to tackle this task.

Hmmm..Just for me to get a feeling on how it would work them:
Instead of creating a floating selection, as it is now, a new "full
featured" layer would come up.

 Maybe the anchor button could be preserved, in order to allow a quick
merge with another layer of choice (either the previously used layer,
from which the selection was copied or floated, or the next layer
selected). I think this way all today's functionality would be
preserved.

Does the GIMP core treat these floating selections too different of
actual layers? Or would a hack like placing a call to
gimp_floating_sel_to_layer placed just after a floating selection get
created do the job? (I am not suggesting that his should be the
'fix')

> Sven
> ________

	JS