Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-plugin-template: install

Hi,

Joseph Heled <pepster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > gimp-plugin-template is an example of an autoconf/automake packaged
> > plug-in that is to be installed system-wide. It doesn't handle
> > installation to the users plug-in directory. Why should it?
> >

>   Because,
>
>   - On some system you don't have administrative rights (say the university)
>   - The gimp is set up to allow full plugins to be installed in ~..gimp-2.0
>   - 'gimptool --install' defaults to installing in ~/.gimp-2.0

The build environment as setup by gimp-plugin-template is a standard
autotools setup and it would ideally behave like any other such
package. Unfortunately this doesn't work perfectly for GIMP and we
override the install target to install to the GIMP plug-in directory
instead of to ${prefix}/bin.

I don't think we should change this behaviour but we could very easily
add another install target (for example called install-user) that
installs the plug-in to the user's plug-in directory. This will only
work for a small subset of plug-ins though. Most plug-ins handled by a
gimp-plugin-template framework are complex plug-ins that install more
than just a single plug-in. Usually there will be help files,
translations, perhaps data files loaded at runtime. The extra
installation target may make people think that the plug-in has been
successfully installed with all its additional files while really only
the exectuable has been installed. I am not convinved that it would be
a good idea to do such a change.

Sven