Re: [Gimp-developer] Refactoring code from GPL to LGPL

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:44:51AM -0700, Robin Rowe wrote:
> Dave,
>
> > It seems like you're limiting refactoring to code re-use via
> > extraction to libraries.
>
> No, I'm using the same definition that Mat refers to:
>
> "Refactoring is a disciplined technique for restructuring an existing body
> of code, altering its internal structure without changing its external
> behavior." - Martin Fowler on http://www.refactoring.com/
>
> What I am saying is that moving redundant code out of application space into
> libraries is a significant component of refactoring. My question was why not
> being able to do that due to license barriers isn't a significant obstacle
> to long term GIMP code maintenance.
>
> Sven has answered that question. The client-server design of the PDB
> sidesteps the license issue by exposing functionality in app (which includes
> the PDB) without linking (instead using sockets). This works for GIMP
> because no other apps use libgimp as a system library except for GIMP
> plug-ins, and plug-ins all expect to talk to the GIMP app rather than run
> independently without it.

Actually, you missed the point. There's been plenty of refactoring, and
most of the 2.x app code *is* separated into libraries. But it's pretty
clear that you never bother to do any research before posting.

Also, moving code into a library doesn't mean the license has to be
changed to LGPL. It's perfectly valid to have a GPLed library. You must
have some weird sort of logic goes on in your head that made you conflate
these things.

It's very odd that you'd be confused about such basic architectural issues
when you've been dealing with the filmgimp codebase for this long. The PDB
is a pretty fundamental part of GIMP from way back, and it really hasn't
changed. But your postings leave the impression that you do not understand
it.

Then again, this disjoint thinking is probably one of the reasons there
hasn't been much progress on your project.

Just leave this criticism be and do not reply. Since you've spread a ton
of FUD and lies about GIMP already, do not expect any privleges here.

-Yosh