Re: [Gimp-developer] Refactoring code from GPL to LGPL

Dave,

> It seems like you're limiting refactoring to code re-use via
> extraction to libraries.

No, I'm using the same definition that Mat refers to:

"Refactoring is a disciplined technique for restructuring an existing body
of code, altering its internal structure without changing its external
behavior." - Martin Fowler on http://www.refactoring.com/

What I am saying is that moving redundant code out of application space into
libraries is a significant component of refactoring. My question was why not
being able to do that due to license barriers isn't a significant obstacle
to long term GIMP code maintenance.

Sven has answered that question. The client-server design of the PDB
sidesteps the license issue by exposing functionality in app (which includes
the PDB) without linking (instead using sockets). This works for GIMP
because no other apps use libgimp as a system library except for GIMP
plug-ins, and plug-ins all expect to talk to the GIMP app rather than run
independently without it.

Appreciate the clarification.

Thanks,

Robin