Re: [Gimp-developer] Refactoring code from GPL to LGPL

Dave,

> I honestly am not sure what the process for moving code to libgimp is...
> essentially it is just moving the code to a library, and then adding a
wrapper
> (if required) around those functions to expose them to the PDB.

Good technical anwer, thanks.

I'm also wondering from a license standpoint. The code in app is GPL, but
libgimp is LGPL. I'm not a lawyer, but it would seem that to change the code
license from GPL that GIMP would need to get permission from all authors, or
reserve the right to change the license later. Sven has said in the past
that he often checks in patches in his own name in CVS, that GIMP does not
keep exact records of who its authors are.

How do you get permission to move GIMP code from GPL into LGPL?

Robin
Robin.Rowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Hollywood, California
www.CinePaint.org   Open source digital motion picture film software