Re: [Gimp-developer] reporting bugs on builds

Dave Neary wrote:

> Sven Neumann wrote:
> > "Branko Collin" <collin@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >>Of course, this would put the burden of triage on the GIMP developers
> >>who are currently doing that, but it might avoid reporters being
> >>scared away by curt WONTFIX replies.
> >
> > The reply is NOTGNOME and we usually ask the bug reporter to get in
> > contact with Jernej or whoever built the binary package and report the
> > problem there.
>
> By "we", you mean "I", don't you? And today that hasn't happened at least
> once, the reply was simply "Your bug report is about the installer
> then and thus does not belong into this bug-tracker".

Well, you can't prevent anyone from reporting bugs, but the quality of the
replies can be improved. Is it possible to have some kind of "canned
replies" in bugzilla? So that when resolving a bug against e.g. the win32
installer as NOTGNOME, an explantory text is just one click away?

> > IMO it's up to Jernej or whoever builds the binaries to
> > setup a bug-tracker for it and to inform users that build problems
> > should be reported there.  That's what all other packagers of GIMP do
> > as well. It certainly doesn't belong into GNOME Bugzilla.
>
> "All the other packagers of the GIMP" make money from it, and employ
> people to do this type of thing, and have dedicated machines.
> Jernej makes binaries in his spare time, and the least we could
> do is show a little tolerance on this issue.

I'm not sure if I agree or not, but I'd like to see some requirements tied
to featuring installers in bugzilla. This isn't directed against anyone
directly, but a clear set of rules should be created. Do you want e.g.
WinGIMP or MacGIMP to use bugzilla.gnome.org? What about other Free win32
installers of GIMP?

> I don't see why bugs like these certainly don't beling in GNOME Bugzilla.
> It would be nice if you could explain why this is so obviously true.

If you think that Sven wrongly resolved bugs as NOTGNOME, please list them.
Then it would be possible to discuss the sepcific cases.

Michael

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: http://www.gmx.net/dsl