Re: [Gimp-developer] making plans

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 15:55, Sven Neumann wrote:
> now that 2.0.0 is released, it's about time to make some plans for the
> future. IMHO, we should try to come up with a roadmap that is clear
> and detailed for the next months and reasonably vague for the time
> thereafter. We can then make precise plans for the time after 2.2 at
> GimpCon.

Yes, this sounds like a decent approach for the time to come.

>  - Do a 2.0.1 release in about two weeks. We got a couple of bugs on
>    the 2.0.1 milestone and I expect more problems to be reported
>    during the next days. So there's plenty of work to do for 2.0.1.
>    And IMO we should not branch CVS before 2.0.1 is released. That
>    will save us some work on merging changes and it means that there's
>    more pressure to get 2.0.1 out.

I agree that we should not branch CVS before after 2.0.1 is released. We
need to focus on fixing the worst of the bugs in 2.0.0. Hopefully this
will help us avoid the 'lets break everything and work on new features'
mania. :)

>  - Do a 2.2 release in about three months. That seems like a short
>    release cycle but I think that's exactly what we need at the
>    moment. There are some unfinished things in 2.0 that could be done
>    in 2 months of development. And we should be able to release w/o
>    months of bug-fixing if we only have two months to introduce new
>    bugs. Of course before we decide to attempt to have 2.2 ready by
>    GimpCon (June 28 - 30) we should collect a more detailed list of
>    changes that we would like to see in 2.2. I will spend some time
>    with Bugzilla and try to prepare such a list...

A 3 months release cycle for 2.2 sounds reasonable to me. This will give
us enough time to fix the outstanding bug reports and we will have time
at GIMPCon2004 to discuss a road map for 2.4.

Sincerely,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@xxxxxxxx>