Re: PDB named and default parameters (was Re: [Gimp-developer] The Mark Shuttleworth offer)

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:26:23PM -0600, Kevin Myers wrote:

> Admittedly, the Windows command prompt (not simply Explorer) is less capable
> than most *nix command shells.  However, there are also a very large number
> of Windows based GIMP users, and one of the requirements of GIMP 2.x is that
> it should be as usable under Windows as it is on other operating systems.
> I'm not familiar with R5RS, and you could certainly be right in your opinion
> regarding that.  However, as a Windows GIMP user (and much more rarely a
> GIMP bug, patch, fix, and enhancement contributor), I want to make sure that
> there isn't excessive *nix bias that inhibits or ignores usability needs
> under Windows.

TheGIMP only exists for Windows(TM) because at the time, linux and
scanners were not working so well together.  The GNU/Linux bias is a
fact.  It is the only reason it exists.

> For example, in one past case, I wanted to run a simple GIMP script from the
> Windows command shell, and there wasn't one single person (Sven and everyone
> else included), who was able to tell me how to arrange the quoting to get
> the script to run along with the required parameters.  That level of
> disfunctionality is not acceptable, and should be eliminated, even if it
> means doing something like "abandoning" (or modifying) certain *nix based
> standards for the Windows version of the GIMP.

To avoid problems like this, linux developers are fairly good at
following standards and all sorts of acronyms like api's and rtfm's --
there are more, i cannot remember them.

Writing web pages for internet explorer is very limiting and not fun as
they have not adhered to browser standards.  Are you making TheGIMP suck
like this?

> Obviously though, I do realize the strong need to minimize any such
> Windows-specific behavior, and that any such differences should receive a
> great deal of very careful consideration before implementation.  In the past
> however, I feel that the scale may have been tipped slightly too far against
> Windows on such issues.

GNU/Linux is supporting scanners really well now.  Perhaps you might be
more interested in helping the Image Magick project as they have been
running better from the command linue than from the GUI for years.  It
is available on Windows(TM) also.

carol